•   info@swotahtravel.com
  •  /   +977-9841595962
Custom Payment
Blog image


  Written by : Swotah Travel

   Jun 09, 2019



While trekking in Nepal, you require several permits to enter most of the places. It can be very confusing trying to figure out Trekking Permits in Nepal. Permits basically are the legal requirements for foreigners entering the restricted areas in Nepal. You will require more than one permits as per your destination. Some permits can be brought in advance and some you can get on the spot. To understand the variety of permits, its restrictions, and requirements continue with the blog below. 

Here Are The Types Of Permits In Nepal
  1.  Special Trekking Permit for restricted/controlled areas
  2.  Trekkers’ Information Management System/TIMS Card
  3.  Conservation Area entrance fee
  4.  National Park entrance fee
  5.  Trekking peak climbing and mountaineering permit
  6.  Filming and documentary shooting permit
Special Trekking Permits

  1.  Required for most of the restricted and controlled areas. (Except  Annapurna base camp and circuit trek, Everest, Langtang & Helambu)
  2.  Must be obtained in advance from the Department of Immigration.
  3.  Requires an authorized trekking agency. ( You cannot get it on your own)
  4.  Restricted to travel without a guide
  5.  Issued for a group of 2 or more persons

(Note: Price for Special permits may vary as per your destination)

Trekkers’ Information Management System/TIMS Card
  1.  Required  for those places which do not require special permits
  2.  Keeps proper record of travelers ensuring their safety and security
  3.  Helps to allocate the missing travelers during natural calamities and other emergencies.
  4.  Must be obtained in advance from either of the offices of Nepal Tourism Board in Kathmandu and Pokhara, TAAN Secretariat at Maligaon in   Kathmandu and TAAN Pokhara Secretariat in Pokhara.
  5.  The permit is valid for 3 months only.
Two Types Of TIMS Cards
  1.  Green cards  (US$ 20) are for independent trekkers
  2.  Blue cards (US$ 10) for organized groups


  1.     Photocopy of your passport
  2.     2 passport size photographs

(Note: You can obtain TIMS on your own without the help of an agency)

Conservation Area Entrance Fee

  1.  Required for trekking areas within a conservation area.
  2.  Obtain entrance permits in advance to the areas controlled by the National Trust of Nature Conservation like Annapurna Conservation Area   (ACA), Manaslu Conservation Area (MCA), Gaurishankar Conservation Area (GCA) at the NTB office in Kathmandu and Pokhara.
  3.  Entrance permits for Gaurishankar Conservation Area (GCA) can be obtained at the destination
  4.  Permits for Kanchenjunga Conservation Area (KCA) can be obtained at the entrance in the Department of National Parks and Wildlife  Conservation (DNPWC) or at the KCA office at Lelep, Taplejung.


  1.  A copy of your passport
  2.  1 passport size photograph.

(Note: The entrance fee is NRs 2000.)

National Park Entrance Fee

  1.  For treks entering to the National parks can be paid on the spot
  2.  Entrance fees for National parks and hunting reserves is NRS 3000 for foreigners
  3.  Entrance fees for Wildlife reserve are NRS 1000 per day
List Of National Parks
  1.  Sagarmatha National park
  2.  Langtang National park
  3.  Makalu Barun National park
  4.  Rara National park
  5.  Shey-Phoksundo National park
  6.  Chitwan National park
  7.  Khaptad National park
  8.  Bardiya National park
  9.  Shivapuri National park
  10.  Banke National Park
List Of Wildlife Reserves
  1.  Shukla Phanta wildlife reserve
  2.  Koshi Tappu Wildlife reserve
  3.  Parsa Wildlife Reserve
List Of Hunting Reserve
  1.  Dhorpatan Hunting Reserve

(Note: Entrance fees for different National parks may vary in Terai region)

Trekking Peak Climbing And Mountaineering Permit
  1.  Required for climbing and mountaineering
  2.  Requires an authorized trekking agency. ( You cannot get it on your own)
  3.  Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA) issues a trekking peak climbing permit for 33 peaks up to 6500 m (except Mera Peak)
  4.  Climbing permits for other peaks can be obtained from the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation (MoCTCA).
  5.  A permit is valid for one month only.

(Note: For further info check: //www.nepalmountaineering.org/)

Filming And Documentary Shooting Permit
  1.  Required for filming and shooting documentary at the trekking destinations within National parks and conservation areas
  2.  Requires application via a trekking agency
  3.  Get a permit from the Ministry of Information and Communication (MoIC)


  1.  A letter made by the assigned local coordinator, informing the Ministry of Information and Communications of the purpose of applying for the shooting permit.
  2.  An assignment letter made by a foreign filmmaker, showing that they have already chosen and hired a local coordinator.
  3.  An application form affixed with a Nepali postal stamp amounting to NPR 50
Supporting Documents Needed For Permit Consideration
  1.  Synopsis
  2.  Treatment for the documentary
  3.  Full script
  4.  Specify the period of filming and shooting locations with the schedule of filming in Nepal.
  5.  Requires Name-list, passport numbers, positions and arrival dates of all foreign film crews.

(Note: Exact fee for the permit has not been allocated. Thus, it solely depends upon the use of camera and technology.)

Subscribe for Our Newsletter